The Riviera Maya is a very attractive destination for real estate investment not only for nationals. According to the National Institute for Statistics and Geography (INEGI), reports a community of foreigners living in Mexico who aquiired a property in the national territory are able to maintain a very positive lifestyle when retired, finding in the Mexican Caribbean a warm weather, white sand beaches, cenotes, cultural and historical diversity, acompanied by innumerable moments of tranquility, relaxation and fun; which has made it possible to consolidate the real estate sector for diverse segments.
The investment of foreigners in real estate is duly regulated in the Foreign Investment Law, in its Chapter I, On the Acquisition of Real Estate and Exploitation of Mines and Waters, establishing that they may acquire rights over real estate in the restricted area, which are intended for residential purposes, taking into account the following:
1. Bank Trust for up to 50 years, extendable. Permission from the Ministry of Foreign Relations for credit institutions to acquire as trustees (fiduciary delegates), rights over real estate located within the restricted area, when the purpose of the trust is to allow the use and the use of such assets without constituting real rights over them, and the trustees are, natural or legal persons
2. The Ministry of Foreign Relations (SER) is the competent authority to grant permission to banking institutions through fiduciary delegates. Currently, given the restrictions due to the pandemic, you may submit the request by sending the following scanned requirements in PDF format to the email: email@example.com
• The application for permits to establish trusts in the restricted area must be submitted ONLY by electronic means, through SIPAC27.
4. Once authorized, the trust will be executed and legalized by a public notary, which will be registered in the Public Registry of Property and Commerce.
5. The trust is linked to the deed.
• Permit number
• Folio number:
• Name of the trustee and the credit institution (bank) he represents;
• Application date;
• Settlor and his; nationality;
• Trustee and his nationality;
• Substitute trustees and their nationality, if any;
• Duration of the trust;
• Good trust matter;
• Location, city, municipality, state;
• Total area;
• Distance from the federal maritime zone or border;
• Twelve or thirteen conditions as the case may be;
• Expedition date; Y
• Title and name of the authorizing public servant.
Any request for permission to establish trusts in accordance with the provisions of the second paragraph of article 14 of the Foreign Investment Law, must be resolved by the Ministry of Foreign Relations issuing the corresponding resolution within five business days following the date of your presentation. Visit the following links: